What is important to us as we seek to follow Jesus as a church community?
Since January 2018 we have been clarifying and simplifying the focus of the church. We call this Future Focus.
Growing communities that bring heaven on earth sums up our vision to plant and grow groups of OCC people across the city and beyond, connecting with and serving communities of every ethnicity and socio-economic group.
This vision is a summary of a broader dream for our church, in which we place ourselves within God's purposes for the city and his world.
We also identified 4 current goals to help us focus our prayer, resources and efforts:
- Goal 1 — developing a School of the Spirit: Growing in prayer and confidence in the Holy Spirit’s work
- Goal 2 — building effective mission: Making friends outside the church, and to help them connect into Communities and church
- Goal 3 — all God’s people equipped: Helping people fulfil their calling, wherever they find themselves in God's world
- Goal 4 — a Sound in the City: Supporting those called to lead in society, and developing more confident public service for the city
Underpinning Future Focus are our core values and key practices, which shape both our church practices and individual habits:
- The Bible: We are an evangelical community, placing the scriptures as our final authority in all matters of faith and practice, as individuals and as a church.
- The Holy Spirit: We are a charismatic community, eagerly desiring all the gifts of the Holy Spirit as essential in our life, worship and mission. ► See Goal 1 above
- Believer's baptism in water: A key milestone of personal faith for Christians.
- Discipleship: We follow Jesus, allowing him to challenge and change us, as we cooperate through mentoring, communities and training. ► See Goal 3 above
- The next generation: investing in children, youth and students.
- Worship: We are determined to love and honour the Lord, when we gather as church and in our whole lives.
- Prayer: We humbly depend upon God in prayer, knowing that he loves it when we abide in him.
- Sunday gatherings: We are committed to joining together regularly as vital to the health of our church.
- Community: We love and care for one another as an extended family, especially as we meet in communities across the city.
- Mission: Demonstrating Jesus' love for people who don't yet know him, through words, works and wonders. ► See Goals 2 and 4 above
- The nations: Concerned for the world and the global church, we pray, form partnerships, and befriend people from other cultures in our city.
- Generosity: Stewarding generously and ethically money and other resources, as individuals and as a church.
To find out more about our vision and values, you might like to join the next Exploring Membership evening. It's only one evening, and there is no prior commitment to go on to become a church member. You can find more information on our Membership page.