This page has been mostly superseded by the new (2021) resources at www.advancechurches.uk/preacherstraining
Here, we've gathered some resources to support mentoring and training for those growing in preaching.
To make best use of these resources we recommend that
- Discuss (with one the elders) who is best to mentor you.
- You meet with your preaching mentor and agree which sessions you need to engage with, and how often you will meet
- Engage with the relevant sessions (watch, take notes, do any exercises)
- Meet again with your mentor
- Agree a date to preach, and ensure that someone can give you feedback (two alternative feedback sheets are available in the Google Drive folder)
- Repeat 4 and 5 as you see fit!
Mike Beaumont's course, 2015
This course, run for Oxfordshire Community Churches, comprises seven sessions, varying from 1 hour 20 mins to 2 hours (total 11 hours):
- Introduction, and exegesis and hermeneutics
- Preparing and presenting a sermon
- Group workshop - no video
- Preaching pastorally
- Bible translations
- Aids for studying the Bible
- Visualcy - are words enough?
- Preaching with faith, plus Q&A (video only, not notes)
Notes are attached at the bottom of this page.
Soul Survivor, Loud and Clear
This shorter course comprises four 25-minute sessions (total 2 hours):
- Where do you begin?
- Illustrations, application and structure
- Body language and delivery
- Growing through feedback
Loud and Clear website - videos and session note downloads
For those who live or work near Oxford, you are welcome to make use of the Oxford Community Church library. Details and catalogue here www.occ.org.uk/library