Future Focus is a process we have been undertaking since January 2018 to clarify and simplify the focus of the church.
- Sunday teaching series (Summer 2019): http://oxford.occ.org.uk/teaching-series/future-focus
- Video of launch sermon (Vimeo): http://ow.ly/htOO50t33BU
- Handout (PDF): https://oxford.occ.org.uk/sites/default/files/2019-04/vision-handout.pdf
- Blog posts on 'Future Focus': http://oxford.occ.org.uk/taxonomy/term/183
Our vision is not just for the church, but for something much bigger, because God has a wonderful plan to fill the whole earth with the knowledge of His glory, with Christ-worshippers delighting in his love and reign.
We believe that God himself has a dream for the city of Oxford, and that within that, He has a vision for the future of Oxford Community Church, and that he has given us more than an inkling of what that looks like, through the pages of Scripture and the work of the Holy Spirit. It’s all based on who God is and what he has done for us.
Read more on our dream here: http://oxford.occ.org.uk/blog/dream
Paul asked the Philippian church to be one in heart and mind and purpose (Phil 2:2). During 2018 and 2019, we have been led to name four specific goals, which will provide us with a more definite common purpose.
- Goal 1 — a School of the Spirit: We will seek to become more fluent in prayer, until we discover more of the Holy Spirit’s work in and through us, and the church is known as a place of divine favour and God’s power also features in our daily witness. During 2019, we will learn from other churches successfully running a ‘School of the Supernatural’ and will work out what it’s best for us to do, and what help we need to make it fly, before starting in 2020.
- Goal 2 — building effective mission: We will develop new ways of making friends outside the church, and trying to ensure that they connect naturally into other church activities. We’ve learnt a lot about communities reaching out together, and how to create ‘stepping stones’ for people into the church community — but we only rarely see it all come together fruitfully. We will form a new team focused on supporting both groups and evangelistic individuals, and actively linking people across the church to greater effect.
- Goal 3 — all God’s people equipped: OCC’s foundational vision included both a commitment to help Christians fulfil their calling and sending people to do good in other places. It is changed people who change the world, and God sends many people to Oxford to get the training they need! We are developing more diverse training opportunities, including STEP, Upper Room and pastoral training, as well as the ongoing provision of coaching through ’personal pastoring’.
- Goal 4 — a Sound in the City: We have seen an unusual measure of God’s favour in together establishing The King’s Centre, Tyndale Community School and Edge Housing — in keeping with a prophetic word given to OCC ten years ago — but still very few of us expect our voice to hold significant weight in the city. We will promote ‘gospel confidence’ in the whole church, actively support those called to speak into a section of society, and sustain and develop more effective public service for the city.